Tuesday, June 12, 2018

How To Apple

Tuesday, June 12th, 2018

Lunchbreak. It's perhaps the single best thirty minutes I am glad to call my own each day. It's that time when legs think of sitting down, stomachs thin of eating, and sweat glands get a break thanks to the truc's AC. Except I was delayed by having to change the orientation of a flange for the electricians, so it was twenty minutes. But that's besides the point; first things first, my apple! Such sage advice as probably comes to mind when you realize I eat an apple each day at the start of my lunchbreak is totally true, and bears no repeating: you already know what it is! Anyways, I bit into my apple with all the gusto a hungry panda has for bamboo, but something wasn't quite right. Hmm. I kept on eating, but slower. Then, with my next bite, it hit me... I opened up the door and, "Pfbth!!" spat out my half chewed bite of apple: it was rotten! Ughh, nasty. My foreman, Kenny, happened to be in our truck this lunchbreak, and he said, "Close the door, you're letting the AC out!" I closed the door, and explained my rotten apple. Kylie ruminated, "Well why are you eating it then? Just throw it away, we have a trash bag up here you know." "Ughh, yeah, I'm not gonna eat that." There was a plastic bag with some stuff in it on the center between the two up front seats, so I tossed my half eaten rotten apple in there and then leaned back in my seat. (Brief addendum: all of us guys here have a tendency to joke around with each other a lot, and we really get a kick out of it and have a lot of fun. I wasn't prepared for what was going to happen next...) Kenny turned his head around and looked right at me with a straight face and declared, "You little shit." I diddn't now how to respond, so said simply, "What, it's not my fault the apple was rotten!" Then Kylie started laughing. I didn't understand what was going on until Kylie said, "That's his lunch bag, the trash bag is up here!" And then I realized what I'd done: I threw my rotten apple in the bossman's lunch bag!! I burst into laughter, and together Kylie and I beset Kenny with our hearty laughs. I pulled the apple out and tossed it in the real trash, and then we went back to eating our lunches. And that, my friends, is some of the fun stuff we find ourselves getting into around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment