Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Potential Dog Thief

Monday, January 15, 2019

About a week ago I was reminded of an even t that happened about a year ago: that crazy dog-lady who is actively trying to seduce Jex. She walks up my friend's driveway and then up a couple steps to the yard where Jex is tied out just to pet her and occasionally give her treats. One Christmas she even dropped a bag of treats on the front doorstep for her. I've bumped into her a couple times while out walking and she always stops and tries to pet her, and I always forget to tell her to not trespass on my friend's property so that she can pet Jex. This concerns me because this type of consistent behavior isn't.. well, I'm afraid that one day she'll steal my dog away. If Jex is ever missing one day, I'm going to be 100% suspicious of this lady.

But anyways, the reason I was reminded of this lady the other day is that I bumped into her while walking Jex. She had two friends or family members with her, and when she saw Jex she was like,

"Oh, is that Jacks?" And went to pet her. But this time I remembered to talk to her:
"Hey, how's it going. Hey, do you think you could not give her treats when you walk by? I'd just rather not have you doing that to my dog."
She replied, "What? I never give her treats. I haven't ever done that."
"Well, please don't go up and pet her when she's tied out then."
Here she sounded slightly offended: "But every dog needs love. She needs to be petted."
"Yes, but she's my dog and I'm asking you to just not pet her. I take good enough care of her."

At this point one of the guys with her recognized that this was an awkward conversation and told her that they should probably get going, but she began going off saying how Jex needs love and deserves to be petted and walked and so forth. Here I repeated, "Please don't pet her in the future. Thank you." And with that, I turned and walked away, leaving her with no option but to follow her friends' advice and to continue walking as well. And that was that.

How someone can make the accusation to the owner of a dog who is currently out walking her that that dog doesn't get enough love and isn't cared for properly is beyond me. Perhaps the fact that she is tied out in a yard during the day is sufficient evidence to levy claims of not-loving-your-dog? Bringing her inside at night isn't enough, little kids playing with her at random points in the day isn't enough, and me taking her on walks and adventures isn't enough, and so it is absolutely necessary that she pet Jex when she is tied out on someone else's private property. (And not just reaching over a fence to pet her, no, it's walking a car's length driveway and up two steps and to the open gateway to pet her. This can only be a very conscious decision.) That must be what she thinks at least. Perhaps she doesn't know all of that, but to assume it is nevertheless an overstep on her part, especially when she is saying this to my face... while I'm out on a walk with Jex. Curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment