Monday, August 21, 2017

The Book

Saturday, August 19th, 2017

You wouldn't have thought it would raise so many eyebrows. It's not even like it was an unordinary thing to do. All I did was simply read a book. Now, why would this cause such a stir, and leave everyone wondering what in the world I was reading? It was the front cover that did it really. Not that the cover was super awesome or super lame, indeed it was just right, but more of the fact that nobody at all recognized what book it was. Why would I read some random book? Was there an assignment due they didn't know about? "No," I'd tell them, "it's just a book for fun." The idea was a new concept, smashing against the iron doors of tradition. They always asked me once more, in case I was just tricking them, if it really was just a book for fun. With serious face and reassuring voice I told them it was true. They were awed. See, we read so many books through college, that when people do have free time, they tend to invest it in other areas, since reading constantly for school and then even in leisure time can be considered by some as a little odd. In this particular case though, it was considered passing odd, and they all inquired what book it was. I'd hold it up so they could see better, and tell them it was The Star Under the City, by Maggie Joy. I'd go on to say that my friend had just written it and was her first published work. At this my hearers generally let out an, "Ohh, nice!". To say the least, they were intrigued. So the question before us now is, are you? If so, you can find it on Amazon, amazing right? I have yet to finish it myself, but so far it has proved fun. Especially with regards to one of the characters, Tytus, and the way you grasp his essence in totality. He reminds me a lot of Gavroche from Les Miserables, another book you should definitely read if you like good books. And there are my two book recommendations for those days when you have nothing to do and are looking for a good excuse to start a new book. So, 300 pages, or 1100?

No comments:

Post a Comment