Sunday, September 24, 2017

Squirrels

Friday, September 22nd, 2017

How could this be? I was cutting it close, about to be late! Throwing the backpack over my shoulder and rushing out the door, I hopped on my bicycle and rushed down 6th street. I got going over twenty miles an hour down the steep monstrosity and hit the greenlight at the bottom. Oh yeah! Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a small brown fur ball running toward me. Turning my head, I saw that it was a cute little squirrel who was trying to make it across the street. He wasn't quite sure what to do and second-guessed himself and turned around back to the side of the street he'd come from, but immediately decided better and turned around again, determined to cross the street. Wrong choice. I saw him run straight for my front wheel, and a grin formed across my face in anticipation of my hopes being fulfilled. And then it happened! My left foot hit the squirrel with a solid thud as a hearty laugh bellowed forth from the depth of my being. This was joyous news! I've always wanted to run over a squirrel on my bicycle! Not that there's anything special about hitting squirrels in general, just more of the fact that I had done so in such an improbable way gave me joy. It really made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment