Friday, September 8, 2017

Well Played, Sir

Thursday, September 7th, 2017

I don't always pass notes in class, but when I do, it gives me great satisfaction. Ever since I was a young child, I thought it would be the coolest thing ever to pass notes to other people in class, but growing up I never got a chance to do this having been raised home-schooled. When I got to college though, I took it up as soon as soon as I could, namely, once I knew people well enough to know that they'd be fine with note-passing. At any rate, it always brings me great joy and delight, especially when I've got a funny observation that I'd like to tell someone relating to what the teacher just said, but that would be totally off topic to mention after class is out. These notes are also quite helpful to keep one awake through some of those longer lectures in the afternoon when the old eyelids suddenly weigh as much as a fat cat after a can of tuna. Thus we see the efficacy of notes during class.

Well, there I was in one of those fore-mentioned classes, and Rachel was right there at the perfect angle to easily be able to read whatever I wrote on paper. Through the course of that class I wrote a couple funny things and showed them to her, and we both got a kick out of it. At some point, our Professor Stokes must have noticed, as was evidenced by his next comment, which I shall soon relate. His class is my favorite one of all, and these fascinating questions always jump into my mind while listening to his lectures. I raised my hand to ask one such question: "Doesn't the very existence of the Second Law of Thermodynamics show that [macro] evolution can't possibly be true?" "That is a good question, but I'm not going to answer it as we need to stay on track with epistemology and that's getting away from what we're talking about. That's a very interesting question, but I'm going to exercise self-control and not answer it. So Leaf, stop!" It was hilarious the way he said it, and we all broke into laughter. Then he added onto that, "Yeah, you were probably planning to ask a stumping question and you nudged Rachel trying to impress her, saying, "Hey, watch this." " At this everybody in the class broke into fits of laughter, but mine was the heartiest of all. Well played, Stokes, well played. I think he might be my favorite teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment